2013 was a huge year for me. It was a challenging, yet incredibly rewarding year. Thank-you to my family, friends, and community for supporting me and witnessing my journey as a professional photographer.
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” ~Ansel Adams
Here are 12 of my favourite photos from 2013.
1. Skye Dancer at Pettinger Point. Inspiring Roy Henry Vickers to create “Balance”, a limited edition serigraph print.
2. Sophie rocking the Trash the Dress session during a storm at Pettinger Point. More photos on my blog HERE.
3. My favourite photojournalistic image. Charne pinning a corsage on her proud grandmother. It’s the simple moments that are often the most powerful.
4. Mariah on an Alice in Wonderland adventure at the Tofino Botanical Gardens. Check out Mariah and Sam’s photos on my Facebook page!
5. Ben and Leslie IN LOVE. IN the RAIN. A lot of my favourite 2013 photos are in the rain. This is my favourite of favourites.
6. Hanging out of a float plane with no door in gale force winds to photograph the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior. Yup, that definitely was one shoot I’m not going to forget.
7. Early in the year, Studio One and myself had a boudoir photography contest. Ashley wrote to us and shared her story about her struggle and triumph over cancer. And with great celebration we honoured her story with a fun and sexy boudoir session that lifted her spirits and made me really appreciate how powerful photography can be.
9. My dog, Karma. I call him my canine photo assistant, but I haven’t quite trained him to carry my bags and hold my lights yet. It’s going to take some time, but for now he’s pretty reliable as a location scouting model. I take so many photos of this dog, that I created his own instagram account. @karmathecosmicwolfdog
10. I photographed a lot of families this year with West Coast Portrait. This is one of my favourites with Nova and the Burt family. They won a photo session through a Tourism Tofino contest and I had the pleasure of photographing them at Cox Bay.
11. Another favourite photojournalistic shot. This one won an award in the Professional Photographers of Canada Fall contest.
12. Paul and Alicia’s engagement portrait at Tonquin Beach. Looking forward to their August 2014 wedding!
“Which of my photographs is my favourite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” ~Imogen Cunningham
I am switching gears for 2014 and have some really awesome projects on the go which I will be revealing in the next few months. I’ve also decided that I will be booking a limited number of weddings and elopements this year. I want every shoot that I do to be a little better than the last, continually striving to perfect my craft and try new things. This is going to be a really great year and I’m excited to share it with all of you!